PERA (Public Employee’s Retirement Association)
- All Aurora Public Schools employees contribute to PERA (Public Employee’s Retirement Association). Employees contribute 8% of their pre-tax monthly income and the district currently contributes 18.35%.
- Employees also have the option of contributing to a 401(k), 403 (b), or 457 account as a payroll deduction. These are pre-tax deductions.
- When you retire, your monthly PERA benefit is a combination of your age and your years of service. It is currently calculated on the average of your highest 3 years of service.
- If you resign, you may withdraw your contribution in cash, leave it in PERA until such time that you are with another PERA employer, or roll the funds into another qualifying plan.
- To change your personal information with PERA, please visit www.copera.org/PDF/8/8-324.pdf, complete the form and return it to the APS Benefits office.
- Attention – Those planning to retire in the next three years: Currently, PERA suggests if you are planning to retire in the next three years, you may want to change your medical and dental deductions from pre-tax to after-tax dollars. Contact the benefits office via e-mail at email@example.com or download the form (APS Staff Google login required).
- Employees who are new PERA members may visit www.copera.org for more information.
- For help with your PERA forms, please visit www.copera.org/pera/about/latestnews.htm#forms
- You may contribute up to the IRS limit based on your age.
- You select your investment funds. You are able to divide up your contributions among the funds that are available and manage those funds online at www.copera.org
- Your choices include low and high-risk mutual funds.
- Funds are available at age 59 ½ after separation of service from your employer.
- You may enroll or change your payroll deduction before the 15 th of the month.
- 401(k) payroll deduction and beneficiary forms are available from the benefits office or can be downloaded from the PERA Web.
- Payroll deduction forms to change contribution are here.
- You may choose to participate in Aurora Public Schools 403(b) plan administered by VALIC. Click here to access plan highlights and steps on how to enroll.
- For Historical Performance Results for period ending 6/30/2016 click here.
Colorado PERA 457
- You may choose to participate in the 457 plan administered by ING. The 457 plan differs in several ways from the traditional 401(k) and 403(b) plans.
- In the 457 plan you have access to your funds prior to age 59 ½.
- The 457 plan allows employees to contribute to their 401(k) or 403(b) plan at the IRS contribution limit and also contribute at the same level to their 457 plan.
- Enrollment should be completed online at www.copera.org before the 25th of the month. The deduction will then be effective on the next month's payroll.
- Any changes are also managed online with ING at www.copera.org or by calling PERA at 303-832-9550.